What Is An At-Home Workstation Review?
An at-home workstation review is an on-site assessment of an individual’s workstation with regards to ergonomics and overall functionality. The review takes into account all of the factors that attribute to an ergonomic workstation in an effort to increase comfort and improve overall performance at the workstation. For example, an assessment of the layout of an office desk workstation would pay close attention to things such as chair height and distance from the desk and determine if it is at the optimal position for the individual.
While working from home may seem more comfortable as is, it is important to keep the needs of the body in mind in order to prevent any long term complications with your health as a result of spending prolonged periods of time in an improper workstation. The goal of an at-home workstation review is to optimize the functionality and efficiency of an individual’s workstation in an effort to create a healthier, happy, and more productive environment.
How Can You Benefit From An At-Home Workstation Review
For any individual subject to working in a non-efficient or ergonomic workstation in their home, a proper at-home workstation review can provide a world of benefits such as:
- Improved Mood and Energy Levels: Working in a more complimentary workstation leads to a better mood, and a better mood leads to more energy!
- Increase In Productivity: While some may say a comfortable employee is a lazy one, that absolutely not the case! By designing a job to allow for good posture, less exertion, complimentary motions, and better heights and reaches, the workstation becomes more efficient. Updating a workstation to better suit an employee has been known to increase productivity by up to 25%.
- Improved Quality of Work: A poor workstation leads to a frustrated and fatigued employee, thus diminishing the quality of their work. When the work environment becomes too physically taxing on an employee, they may not perform their task to the highest degree. For example, an employee may make fundamental mistakes during a task as a result of being distracted by the challenges of their workstation, resulting in a diminished quality of work. A workstation review can provide an average reduction in errors of 67%.
- Minimized Physical Aches and Pain: One of the largest contributors to lost workdays is musculoskeletal disorders caused by employees operating in a poor workstation. Neck and back pain among many other things can all be attributed to the countless hours spent by individuals working at workstations that do not suit their bodies. An at-home workstation review and adjustment can decrease the risk of musculoskeletal disorders by an average of 59%.
- A Healthier Heart: A workstation that is taxing on the body is ultimately taxing on the heart, this is especially common in a workstation that involves prolonged periods of time sitting. Spending an unnaturally long period of time sitting can hinder the body’s ability to circulate blood, making the heart work harder. Studies have found that individuals who reduce the amount of time spent sitting also greatly reduce their risk of heart disease. Therefore, an improvement in the ergonomics of an individual’s workstation can reduce the risk of overtaxing the heart, and lead to a healthier life for the individual.
Why You Need An At-Home Workstation Review
The ergonomics and functionality of an individual’s at-home workstation is not something that is commonly considered. It is often thought that if you’re working in an environment that feels comfortable and was designed by you, then it must be an optimal workstation, right? Unfortunately not.
The ergonomics and functionality of your at-home workstation should be given the same attention as the one on-site. While it may feel fine to sit in a comfortable chair in whatever position your body chooses and tackle the workday from the comfort of your own home, this can lead to serious health complications in the long run if not done properly.
An at-home workstation review is sure to provide you with the benefits listed above and more. By taking a step back to assess and adjust the at-home environment in which you work, you are sure to find intricate details in your workstation that can be optimized to improve the overall health or your body and mind not only for today but for years to come.
Please contact us if you think you could benefit from having your workspace assessed by our Occupational Therapists.